Have you suddenly become very picky about what to eat?
Have you started worrying about your weight more?
Don’t worry, we’re here to help you out!
Let’s clear the air around some common health myths. You’re in for a surprise!
We have started reading the ingredients on the packed food labels and counting the number of calories we are consuming. The preference for sugar-free, gluten-free, and organic products has become very prevalent in this ‘selective eating’ trend.
There is more and more research being done online about products and their benefits. The organic nature and the nutrition value of food products are being taken into consideration before purchase.
This all points to the fact that people now understand the importance of eating healthy while exercising.
However, the internet is bombarded with some claim or the other about how you can make your lifestyle healthy. The access to information online has been eased thanks to social media and other digital platforms. We might not trust experts as much as we trust search engines and consumer feedback.
HERE ARE 3 COMMON HEALTH MYTHS, BUSTED:
1. You Should Drink Minimum 8 Glasses Of Water In A Day ( The 8×8 Rule)
Well, this is something we have heard many dieticians talk about and many people write about but guess what? Not entirely true. The basic purpose of drinking enough water is to stay hydrated.
Proper hydration leads to higher energy throughout the day and better functioning of the brain. Now, that water does not necessarily have to come directly from a glass. We also eat food that has water content in it.
There are fruits like watermelon and orange that have very high water content. Tomatoes and cucumbers also contain a lot of water. About 80 percent of our water comes directly from the glass and the rest 20 percent comes from the food we eat. The one thing that you should trust when it comes to drinking water is your own body. Your body knows when it’s thirsty and it will tell you that.
Your body mass, sex, and age also play a vital role in contributing to the water requirements of your body. Drinking more water than what your body requires can lead to bloating of the stomach and subsequently, cause discomfort or other adverse effects.
So, in short, drink water when you’re thirsty and look for indicators of dehydration. Apart from that, stop fretting about how you did not consume 8 glasses today and stay happy.
2. Add Maximum Fibre To Your Diet If You Are Constipated
Have you heard the saying ‘excess of anything is bad’?
That’s exactly what bursts this myth. Fiber is a kind of carbohydrate that helps in maintaining a healthy digestive system. It does not provide our body with energy or any type of nutrition but it does not add calories to our body either. This is because it is not exactly digested by our body but it does go through the digestive system.
So it is actually very useful for our body and an important element to a healthy diet structure as it helps in disposing off the waste.
The ideal fiber intake in men in a day is said to be around 30 to 38 grams and for women, it’s said to be around 21 to 25 grams. Even after so many benefits, taking fiber in huge quantities, especially in a short span of time, can be very problematic.
It could lead to problems in absorbing minerals and antioxidants inside the body. It could also result in unwanted weight loss, bloating, and constipation.
In totality, fiber is good to incorporate in your diet but don’t consume it in excess. As soon as you start feeling any of the above signs, stop the intake and start over. You should slowly accustom your body to the required fiber level and so don’t start giving everything at once.
3. Artificial Sweeteners Should Be Added To The Diet For Weight Loss
Artificial sweeteners are substitutes for sugar and they have very less food energy. That means that they have almost no to zero calories. Some people also call it the ‘sweet spot’ between good health and taste. This factor has led many to assume that it can be incorporated in their diet.
But what one might fail to realize is that artificial sweeteners are kind of a way to trick the mind and body. This way, only half your body is satisfied and you are left wanting more and more. here are many other adverse side effects of these sweeteners like heart disease, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.
So, what’s the final verdict? Well, we are not saying that you should ditch diet sodas and start having regular ones right away but don’t consider it as part of your diet plan.
You might just start becoming a little less serious if you think that you are saving calories by not having regular sugar. Also, some food items that have sugar in their natural form like whole fruits, are actually a great source of nutrition.